If you asked my kids what the best part of parenting is they’d be sure to tell you that it is doling out punishments and getting to do what you want. While I have to admit that it is a whole lot nicer being on this side of the parent “law”, that isn’t a highlight for me. My highlights are things that my kids can’t see yet and perhaps won’t discover until they are parents themselves. It is a whole lot easier to focus on the negative side of parenting (and sometimes we get some really great blog posts about it) but it is great to stop and point out the finer points of this whole parenting gig. So thanks, Cristie, for giving us the nudge to stop and sing the praises of being a mom. These are my Top 5.
- Seeing through the eyes of a child. Kids take their time to notice the things around them and are rarely in a rush. They also see things with open eyes and fresh perspective. Taking the time to slow down and letting your child take the lead can be the best thing you’ve done in a long, long time. I love when I notice something I would’ve completely passed by all because my kids took the time to see it whether it be a squirrel scurrying up the tree, a new flower in bloom, or how it feels to soar through the sky when pumping high on a swing.
- Being Smart. I consider myself to be relatively intelligent. However, to your child you are the center of their universe for a long time. When you can answer their endless questions or offer a new suggestion they look at you like you are the smartest person in the world. I love that they think I know everything. I’m also glad I relished it while I could because the 11 year old has me figured out. Now I’m asking him things.
- Payment in hugs, kisses & cuddles. We all know that being a parent doesn’t come with a paycheck. In fact, it is one of the most expensive ventures you can take on! But, all the payment I could ever ask for is the affection I receive from my children. I’ve got three snuggle buddies and all the hugs and kisses I could ever want. It is also the perfect pick-me-up when you are feeling down.
- Revisiting my childhood. The Barbies. The vacation spots. The TV shows and movies. The S’Mores. The giggles. I love getting to relive some of the best parts of being a kid. I love getting to act like a kid once in while even better.
- Watching our babies turn into people. For me, this has got to be one of the absolute top things about being a parent. When you are expecting your baby you have wishes and dreams for them and wonder what they will turn into. As they begin to grow and mature, their personalities begin to emerge and their interests take shape. They begin to come up with ideas and dreams of their own.
This is an original post for Jersey Moms Blog.