Before summer officially begins, I sit down with my children and allow them to make a list of “50 Fun Things to-do” throughout the summer. While some of the “things” are costly (day trips to Great Adventure, the Cape May Zoo, etc.) an equal amount of silly things we can do in the comfort of our own home—or closely nearby—when their “boredom” sets in.
But, what about us moms? Sure, the summer is filled with shuffling our kids back and forth to parks, playdates and the beach, but what about some things just for us so that we can enjoy the warmth and freedom that the summer brings? This year, I’ve made my first “Mommy’s Summer Fun List” and I am sharing it with you to hopefully inspire you to take some time to do the same.
In no particular order, here are 15 (yeah, I know—they get 50, and I get just 15!) things I’d really like to do this summer:
- Read a good book, or two! After a long day playing cruise director, all I care to read is something light-hearted and easy, which is why I picked up “Didn’t I Feed You Yesterday” after a recommendation from a fellow blogger.
- Lay on my hammock—as opposed to glancing at it wishing I were laying on it.
- Declare a few minutes each day as “adult swim” time where the kiddies get to play happily in their yard while mommy floats around the pool. Cocktail optional.
- Organize my filing cabinet once and for all.
- Hire a babysitter at least once this summer so I can lay on the beach…alone.
- Buy an inexpensive nail maintenance kit and treat myself to at-home mani/pedis each week.
- Take a make-up application lesson.
- Make more time for my husband and date nights.
- Add the “LOST” DVDs to my Netflix que and re-start the series from the beginning.
- Check out the PNC Bank Arts Center’s schedule and buy tickets for a summer concert.
- Clean out my basement and have a garage sale and/or donate unwanted items.
- Spend a whole day in my PJ’s—and since this is also on my kids summer fun list, this will certainly get done!
- Re-paint my kitchen and dust off the sewing machine to make new curtains for it.
- Get a professional family portrait at sunset on the beach.
- Make weekly trips to the local farmers’ market and try some new fruits and vegetables.
How about you? What are some things on your summer fun list?
This is an original post for Jersey Moms Blog by Chrissy Mac”CEO”, a New Jersey mom.
Photo credit given to She Knows.